I don’t know about you all but I am always so incredibly rushed in the morning I forget breakfast nine times out of ten. I know it’s bad for me but when it’s between the snooze button and a bowl of cereal I’ll always pick those extra ten minutes of sleep. A little while ago to counter my morning rush I started making things the night before or the weekend before that I could grab as I rush out the door in the mornings. These muffins I made were great! Very easy, and really delicious. When I did it I made a dozen of them. I know the ingredients list looks daunting but a majority of the ingredients I already had, here’s the recipe:
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and grated (I chopped mine and it turned out fine, it’s a preference thing)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, oil and applesauce.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Fold in the apple.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- For topping, combine brown sugar and flour. cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in oats and nuts. Sprinkle over muffins..
- Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.