The problem I have this time of year is Valentine’s Day falls a week before my anniversary with my boyfriend. So this year, instead of doing cheesy gifts all around I decided to make Valentine’s day funny! My boyfriend and I have a few running jokes in the relationship so I decided to use one for the holiday! I decided to hide his “vices” (nothing dirty, coffee and cigars” in a safe place no one would like for them! In one of my classes a girl showed us how to make a “book safe” I had never heard of this but thought it was the coolest idea in the world! The premise is this: you take a book, hollow it out, and can keep things in it, it’s kind of like the fake rock to hide your key. It wasn’t all that difficult to make, although my hand still hurts a little from cutting all the pages, here’s how to do it:
1. Here’s the supplies you’ll need:
- A book (I got mine at a local used book store, it cost me $1.00)
- Box cutter
- Mod Podge or Glue
- Plastic bags
2. Wrap your front and back cover and a few pages at the beginning of the book in the plastic bags, these first pages will be the ones left open to cover the hollow book.
3. Spread Mod Podge or glue over the sides of the book, all three sides, this will glue the pages of the safe together. Let this dry
4. Once it’s dry, take your ruler and pencil and decide where you want your safe to be, mine was about a half inch from the edges.
5. Now the fun and stress relieving part begins! Take your box cutter and cute along the lines you just drew, rip the pages out and continue until your safe is as deep as you want it!
It’s really that simple! I had a problem of my being a little rugged in the corners but it gave it a nice sort of worn look to it. Take a look and try it yourself!